- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large leeks, trimmed, rinsed well, white and light green parts thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 3 medium potatoes), any variety, peeled if desired, cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 2 cups Lucerne® 2% or whole milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Buttery garlic croutons (see Notes to make your own)
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add leeks and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots, broth and thyme; cover and cook 15 minutes until potatoes are very tender.
- Smash potatoes with a potato masher or wooden spoon. (For a smooth soup use an immersion blender or carefully whirl hot soup in a blender until smooth).
- Stir in milk. Simmer 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot with buttery garlic croutons.