Cranberry Orange Shortbread Cookies
2 hours 10 mins
2 hours 20 mins
A delightfully easy cookie recipe that yields sensational results! I’m sharing three secrets to the perfect shortbread cookies that no one can resist! Make sure to add these easy Cranberry Orange Shortbread Cookies to your holiday baking list this season!
Author: Trish – Mom On Timeout
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 2½ dozen cookies
- ½ cup dried cranberries (Craisins)
- ¾ cups sugar, divided
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, cubed (and cold)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 to 2 tbsp of fresh orange juice (otional)
- additional sugar to coat cookies before baking if desired
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine cranberries and ¼ cup of sugar in a food processor and process just until the cranberries are broken down into smaller pieces. Set aside.
- Combine flour and remaining sugar in a large bowl.
- Use a pastry cutter to cut in butter. You want very fine crumbs.
- Stir in extract, cranberries and sugar mixture, orange zest and orange juice (optional).
- Use your hands to knead the dough until it comes together and forms a ball. Work the dough JUST until it comes together – you don’t want to over-work it.
- Shape dough into a log about two inches in a diameter and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for two hours or up to 72 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Cut slices of cookie dough about ¼ inch thick.
- Place about a half a cup of sugar in a bowl and coat the cookie slices with sugar.
- Place cookies on baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or just until cookies are set. Do not over bake. I pull mine at 10 minutes.
- Let cookies cool for several minutes on baking sheet before removing to cooling rack. Let cool completely.
- Store in airtight container for 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.